Flood damages Mewa Khola Hydrpower Project

    74

    KHOTANG, July 6: Flood in Mewa Khola has damaged powerhouse of Mewa Khola Hydropower Project (1 MW) and swept away all the equipment. According to Lalit Kumar Rai, project manager of Mewa Khola Hydropower project, the rain-swollen Mewa Khola caused damages in the powerhouse on Saturday night. Loss due to the flood has been estimated at Rs 4 million.

    “The powerhouse has been badly damaged and all the equipment have been swept away,” Rai said. General people own 30 percent of shares in the project which is estimated to cost Rs 190 million. Similarly, banks have financed the remaining 70 percent.

    Rai said the flood has affected their target of completing the project by mid-September. The project is being developed by Sapsu-Kalika (P) Ltd. The project, which aims to electrify all 40 VDCs of Khotang district, is located near the confluecne of Sapsu Khola amd Mewa Khola.

    Source : Republica