First phase of Kabeli transmission line will be completed by Dec 25: NEA

    110

    trlKATHMANDU, Oct 20 : Officials of the Nepal Electricity Authority (NEA) have vowed to complete the first phase of Kabeli Corridor Transmission Line Project by December 25 to evacuate energy generated by Mai Hydropower Project (22 MW).

    The sluggish work progress of the 90-kilometer project, which spans from Terhathum to Jhapa, had pushed power generation plan of Mai Hydropower Project into uncertainty. The project is in the last leg of construction.

    Speaking at the meeting of the parliamentary Agriculture and Water Resources Committee on Sunday, Kanhaiya Lal Manandhar, chief of NEA´s Directorate of Transmission Line, expressed commitment to complete remaining works on transmission line within two months.

    “We have so far laid the foundation for 70 out of 80 towers for the first phase. Now onwards, there won´t be any delay,” Kanhaiya said, adding that they were trying to put in place an alternative connection with the transmission line of Puwakhola for the time being.

    Saying that the project needs to be completed in time, Gagan Thapa, president of the committee, advised NEA officials to report to them if there is any problem.

    Similarly, Subarna Dash Shrestha, director of Sanima Mai Hydropower Limited, the developer of Mai Hydropower Project, said energy generated by the power would be lost if the transmission line is not ready in time.

    Upon completion, the project generates energy worth Rs 650 million annually. The project is developed by the Non-Resident Nepalis.

    IBN, energy ministry told to work together for West Seti project
    The parliamentary committee has directed the Investment Board Nepal (IBN) and Ministry of Energy to work together for the West Seti Hydropower Project (750 MW).

    After finding different opinions on the project among officials of the energy ministry and IBN, committee president Gagan Thapa directed both the government agencies to have a better coordination for early development of the project.

    The establishment of IBN, which handles projects with capacity of more than 500 MW, has irked officials of energy ministry. Differences between the two state agencies on hydropower development have been surfacing time and again.

    Thap also said the government has already signed a Memorandum of Understanding (Mo) with CWE Investment Corporation, a Chinese developer, for the development of the project.

    Speaking at the meeting, IBN CEO Radhesh Panta told committee members that the government must ensure market for the energy generated by the mega project. He also said the government should also build construction line to evacuate power generated by the project.

    Source : Republica