450 households electrified in rural Panchthar


PANCHTHAR: Electricity has been supplied for the first time to 450 households in Nagi of Yangwarak Rural Municipality in Panchthar district recently.

Locals of Nagi have been delighted after the area was connected to 132-KVA Amarpur sub-station of the national transmission line.

In the first phase, 450 households were electrified out of the total 920 households whereas electricity is yet to be supplied to 470 households, according to Gadi Rural Electricity Cooperative Limited, electricity distributors in the district.

According to the Cooperative, the total budget for the electrification project was NPR 62 million, out of which 90 per cent of the total budget (NPR 55.8 ‎million) was made available by Nepal Electricity Authority while the remaining 10 percent (NPR 6.2 million) has been contributed by local consumers. Out of total local funding, the amount of NPR 2.7 million was contributed by Arun Kaveli Electricity Company alone.

The electrification project was taken on by Jaya Durge and Tripureshwar JV. The tenure for the first phase was 18 months, however, the company was able to complete the process only after 21 months of delay.

The inauguration of the electricity distribution was carried out by Member of Parliament (MP) Subash Chandra Nembang.

Delivering a speech during the ceremony, MP Nembang stated that the government has the policy to supply electricity in every household and to distribute shares of power companies to the people which would provide them a sense of ownership.

Likewise, he discussed the under-construction electricity project in Kaveli and praised the locals for investing in the project as shareholders.

Source : The Himalayan Times