Pharping Hydropower Station

Renovated Pharping Hydropower Station located in 15 KM southern hills of Kathmandu Valley. Being century old station it’s the historic power station in Nepal built in 1911 AD with the capacity of 500KV.

Pharping Hydropower Station, commissioned in May, 1911 is the first power station in Nepal. The Power Station was inaugurated by the late king Prithivi Bir Bikram Shah Dev on Monday, 22 May, 1911 ( B.S 1968, 9 Jestha, Monday) at 6: 30 Pm more than 100 years back by switching on lights in Tudhikhel, Kathmandu was established by Rana Prime Minister Chandra Shamsher. It was erected with a grant from British Government at a cost of NRs. 0.713 million.

The Power Station located in Pharping of Kathmandu district, nearly 12 km south from the heart of the city is considered to be the second oldest hydropower station in Asia. The Power Station utilizes spring water from Satmule and Shesh Narayan area. There are two units each with a rated capacity of 250 kW totaling installed capacity of the Power Station to be 500 kW.

Previously, only one unit was operated for an hour a day but currently due to increase shortage drinking water. A master plan has been prepared to develop the site as Live Energy Museum with constructions and establishments including scientific reasearch center and model power station of wind, solar, and hydro and as a centenary celebration memorial, Inauguration day of this Plant, 9 Jest is celebrated as National Energy Day to mark the begining of Hydropower Development in Nepal.

Details of the power station

Installed Capacity: 500 KV
Construction work started: 1907 AD
Completion of construction work: 1911 AD
Inaguration: His Majesty Prithivi Bir Bikram Shah Dev
Involved man days for work: 950,000
Cost: 713,273.82 (NPR, according the news published in Gorkhapatra of 1968/02/16 BS)

Officers involved in construction works and their responsibility

  1. General Padma Sumsher JBR (Responsible for the overall supervision and monitoring)
  2. General Mohan Sumsher JBR and General Keshav Sumsher JBR (Responsible for transportation of equipments)
  3. Col. Tilbikram and Subedar Bakhat Bahadur (Responsible for construction of powerhouse and installation of equipments)
  4. Lt. Devi Bahadur and Subedar Harsa Bahadur (Responsible for the construction of overhead transmission line)
  5. Executive Engineer Col. Kishor Narshingh Rana (Responsible for planning of powerhouse)
  6. Superintending Engineer Col. Kumar Narshingh Rana (Helped in for construction works)
  7. Mr. Barnau Puwante, Electrical Engineer (Responsible for construction of hydropower station)
  8.  Mr. Linzale, Engineer from General Electric Co. (Responsible for the Erection and Installation of equipments)
Renovated Pharping Hydropower Station located in 15 KM southern hills of Kathmandu Valley. Being century old station it’s the historic power station in Nepal built in 1911 AD with the capacity of 500KV.
Renovated Pharping Hydropower Station located in 15 KM southern hills of Kathmandu Valley. Being century old station it’s the historic power station in Nepal built in 1911 AD with the capacity of 500KV.
Pharping_Reservoir2
Reservoir of the Pharping Hydropower Station, these days this reservoir serves for drinking water supply for Lalitpur District.
Details of the manufacturer on equipment ‘The English Electric CO. LTD. London’
Details of the manufacturer on equipment ‘The English Electric CO. LTD. London’

 

 

Photoes : photopatrakarita