By: Raju Shrestha, Mechanical Engineer – Hydropower (email@example.com)
1st January 2019
Further to the Resent News “India has amended its cross-border power trading regulation paving the way for Nepali power producers to export electricity not only to India but also other third countries like Bangladesh, Bhutan and Myanmar.” as link http://www.nepalenergyforum.com/nepal-can-export-electricity-in-third-countries/ ; Generation of Hydro Power in Nepal in different combinations with both other renewable and non – renewable sources for Electricity to Fullest around 100 GW can be studied. Many countries are declaring to use of zero emission vehicle (Electric Vehicle) completely by coming recent years also need to be addressed by now. More and more electricity generation from Renewable sources is undoubtedly better.
Renewable Energy dependency could be optimized in the field of Hydro Power Development of Nepal to fullest to impact noticeable for the availability of Non Renewable Energy for longer period impacting the Environment of the World less otherwise. India, Nepal and Russia can work together with following objectives:
- India as a MARKET as well as Investor, design & construction, supplier, monitory beneficiary and downstream beneficiary
- Nepal as a HOST as well as Investor, design & construction, monitory beneficiary and downstream beneficiary
- Russia as an INVESTOR, DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION as well as supplier and monitory beneficiary. Please be informed that here design means all the systems in relation to Electricity generation by Hydro Power in combination and association with Solar, Wind, Pump Storage, Geo Thermal, Thermal, Tidal for the stability and reliability. Hydro Power Development of Nepal has never been studied with respect to Global Perspective and here Russia can play a key role to find the long term and short term objectives.
In this case, India is in the decisive position. India is the main market in this case and they can make a decision considering as follows:
- Fossil fuel as the time pass become expensive due to fact of non-renewable
- Downstream benefit (water): irrigation all the year round, domestic – water all the year round & flood control
- Electricity from Hydro Power – Renewable Source
- Russian technology is proven and Indian got experience in Tehri Dam Projects – Russian involvement
- India can also involve in operation of the plants besides other involvement
Both Russian and India can work on topic like this collation for mutual benefit for long term together with Nepal development of Hydro Power in Nepal to Fullest. Further this is also good from Environment Perspective for less CO2 emission otherwise.
Nepal got average altitude around 4000 m above sea level on the north which includes 8848 m Mt. Everest, highest peak in the World to as low as 100 m above sea level on the south within 100 km distance with very high potential of Hydro Power which is as shown below Picture:
There are four major basins as Koshi, Gandaki, Karnali and Mahakali with around 11,000.00 km2 catchment area where many reservoirs can be made after identification to regulate flow which is very important for power generation and flood control as per season and demand.
As a general argument, following topics can be discussed:
- BRICS can be investor for the mission if it is possible
- Fossil fuel (Non Renewable fuel) will be relatively remain for more period in the world so that any nation will not take any undue advantage in case of its short
- Citizen of India, Russia and Nepal can also invest individually as shareholder
- All the barriers from OPEC and similar bodies or country against Hydro Power Development can be nullified with this collation
- These days, number of Electric Car and Bus are increasing day by day due to the development of its technology and the charging stations for them needs electricity, in conclusion that the demand of electricity (renewable) is ever increasing
In conclusion, this is beneficial in all perspectives as economic, environment, energy-management and empowerment for the better World.