Upper Chameliya hydro in final stage of compilation

667

Jan 13: The construction of the 40 MW Upper Chameliya Hydropower Project (UCHP) has reached its final stage of construction.

According to Api Power Company Limited, the developer of the project, the UCHP will start its production by April. Sanjeev Neupane, executive director of the company, said they are now busy in completing the final civil works of dam construction of the project.

As of now, the project has completed construction of a power house, surge tank and substation. The company is completing the project construction within the set deadline of 24 months.

The UCHP is being constructed in the Chameliya River of Darchula district. The project is estimated to generate 264.1 million units of electricity annually. Of the electricity generated, 30 percent will be generated in the six month period of winter and the remaining 70 percent will be generated during the monsoon.

An investment of Rs 7.40 billion has been earmarked for the project. Of the amount, 30 percent (Rs 2.22 billion) has been collected from issuing rights shares to its stakeholders. The remaining 70 percent is being funded by a consortium of banks led by Himalayan Bank.

Api Power Company is constructing the UCHP as its sixth hydropower project. Apart from this power plant, the company has been constructing two other hydropower projects—8.5 MW Naugad Gadh and 8 MW Upper Naugad Gadh in Darchula district.

Likewise, it has been supplying electricity from three solar power projects to the national grid. These include 4 MW Chandra Nigahapur Solar Project and 1 MW each in Dhalkebar and Simara of Terai region.

The company is also working to develop 50 MW green hydrogen plants across Nepal by 2025. For this purpose, it is investing Rs 10 billion in green hydrogen projects that can generate 4,000 tons of hydrogen annually. Bardaghat, Chanauta, Kawasoti, Dhalkebar, Parwanipur, Simara and Chandranigahapur are among the proposed sites of the company’s hydro and solar projects for the production of green hydrogen.

Source : Republica