‘Match fixing, syndication ail contract management’

    415

    KATHMANDU,

    September 3: Few large-scale civil contractors have monopoly of government contracts and they apply ‘match fixing’ in the contract process to get contracts, a CPN UML Party leader has said.

    Speaking at the 19th annual general assembly of Federation of Contractors Association of Nepal (FCAN), chief of party’s Physical Infrastructure Department, Bijay Paudel, claimed that the contractors first influenced the policymakers so that they set bid criteria fit for a handful of contractors.

    “There is match-fixing in contract management and as a result small time contractors who have little influence over the policymakers suffer,” Paudel said: “Only 10 percent contractors have dominated the business, while the rest 90 percent are devoid of job,” said Paudel, who is also a politburo member of the CPN UML party.

    “We as an opposition leader would like to work as a watchdog,” added Paudel.
    Contractors’ works were not of good quality and they were not building infrastructure appropriate for the next generation, Paudel claimed, adding that corruption was associated with it.

    Paudel’s claims, however, were not refuted by any of the FCAN executives who were present on the occasion. Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba, who was the chief guest of the event, also did not respond to Paudel’s claims.

    State Minister for Physical Infrastructure and Transport Sita Gurung said they wished that all contractors got projects to work on equal footing.

    “We need quality work in infrastructure, which should be completed on time,” Gurung said.

    Former Minister for Land Reforms and Management Bikram Pandey said that there should be a rigorous discussion on the factors behind poor quality of works and delays.
    “Contractors are not alone behind the poor quality and delays in work. There are also issues regarding designing of the structures among others,” added Pandey.

    FCAN President Sharad Kumar Gauchan demanded that contracts were provided in proportion to the contractors, and complained about delays in bill payments even after completion of works.

    FCAN FELICITATES GHALE, GHISING 

    FCAN felicitated President of Non-Resident Nepalis Association Shesh Ghale for his contribution to developing physical infrastructure in the country. Ghale has invested in a five-star hotel in Nepal under the brand of international chain Sheraton, and a 17-storey building in Kathmandu that is under-construction.

    Likewise, FCAN also honored Managing Director of Nepal Electricity Authority Kulman Ghising for his remarkable work to minimize power cut.

    FCAN also honored Bhim Bahadur Saud, mayor of Parashuram Municipality in Dadeldhura district, who was the only mayor elected from contractors’ fraternity in the local elections held in May. Saud was FCAN vice-chairman.

    Source: My Republica