1,100 workers mobilized for Upper Marsyangdi A

    434

    LAMJUNG, Aug 24

    Promoter Sino-Sagarmatha Hydropower Limited has mobilized a total of 1,100 workers to finish the 50-MW Upper Marsyangdi A Hydropower Project A in Lamjung district within the stipulated time of two years.

    Deputy Managing Director of the company Chang Fa Pin says the project, whose 40 percent work has been completed within a short time, is currently employing 700 Nepalis and 400 Chinese nationals. Though construction was obstructed for over one and half months due to strikes, according to Pin, construction is now moving forward at a rapid pace. A total of 700 workers from the district are being employed including 404 from the area affected by the project—199 from Bhulbhule Village Development Committee (VDC), 121 from Khudi, 52 from Bahundanda and 32 from Simpani. The company is paying Rs 8 million every month in remuneration of the workers.

    50-MW Upper Marsyangdi A

    Ninety-six percent of dam has been completed in Ngadi of Bhulbhule with 30,000 cubic meter of concrete and 23,000 cubic meter of filling done in the area. Construction of 2.60 kilometer of the 5.20-kilometer tunnel of the run of the river project has been completed till date. Work of bridge, road and power house is currently being done. He urges the political parties, locals and workers to not call any strike for the next two years.

    The project plans to generate electricity by dropping water from the dam at a height of 905 meters on two turbines of 25 MW each. Sino Hydro of China has 90 percent stake and Sagarmatha Hydropower the remaining 10 percent in the project that plans to start generation from October, 2016. The motorbell bridge to Marsyangdi river has come into operation while construction of the main office building has reached final stage. Preliminary stage of construction of around five kilometers of road connecting the power house of the project to the dam site has also been completed.

    The project says the riverbed of Jalkine in Khudi-1, Dulebadar in Bhulbhule-4, Ghattekhola in Bhulbhule-5 and Ngadi confluence will be managed as disposal site. The company has also constructed two residential buildings for the workers in Chhaharekhola in Khudi-1 and near Ngadi confluence in Bhulbhule-5. It has also announced a neighborhood assistance program in the area affected by the project. Public Relation Officer of the project Arjun Gurung says the company plans to spend Rs 160 million for education, health, training, environment conservation and construction of physical infrastructure in these areas. The project has also spent R 6 million for development of the affected area apart from the Rs 160 million allocated for the neighborhood assistance program.

    Source : Karobar Daily